Man was I ever ready for Friday this week. I worked the 0645-1530 shift on Wednesday and Thursday and the early wake-up time wreaked havoc on me. I’m just not meant to be up that early. Not to mention, that being done that early was way to reminiscent of my recent unemployment. Even when I worked out after on Wednesday, I still beat my husband home by long enough to just veg out, shower, and then cook dinner before he walked in the door. I’m very glad to be back to my regular hours now.
1. I finished training for half of my job today. Our section of the hospital has the upfront sign-in desk where all appointment registration happens and a back “call center” where all the scheduling happens. Right now I can work the sign-in desk with no problem and I can schedule one type of appointment. I’m stuck waiting for a coworker to finish training in the back (next week will be her third week) before I can move back there. I thought we would switch after next week, but she’s now saying she wants to spend all of May back there. I definitely don’t want to wait that long to finish learning my job, so I’ll be talking with my supervisor next week if this other girl does in fact ask for all of that time. I want her to have her time to get comfortable, but I also want to finish learning my job.
2. We managed to eat at home three nights this week (Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday) and this is a huge accomplishment for us. I know how sad that sounds, but we’ve never been good at cooking or eating at home and my working out of the home is definitely not helping that track record. We’re working on baby steps, I think we’ll try and make three week nights our minimum and slowly work to add one until we’re eating at home Sunday-Thursday nights. That may be a pipe dream though.
3. Our dress code just changed yesterday. Before, we had to wear black/gray on bottom and black as our highest layer up top. They didn’t care if we wore black shirts with a colorful scarf or if we wore colored blouses with a black cardigan/wrap/blazer but the outside layers had to be black. Now we’re wearing “business professional.” Before you think that means I have to wear suits, they really mean business casual, but they don’t want to use the word causal. I decided to take this opportunity to introduce colored blazers into my life. I wore a hot pink blazer of a blue and white striped maxi dress today and enjoyed this look so much. I can’t wait to collect a huge assortment of pencil/maxi skirts and some more bright blazers. I will be that girl in the office.
4. I bought myself a purse last week as my happy job gift to myself. It is red and it came in today and I love it. It’s more than I’ve ever spent on a purse before, but I love it and I’m hoping that with the price increase will come a quality increase and that I’ll be carrying it for quite some time. I came home at lunch to it sitting on my door step and I didn’t even eat before getting it out. It makes me smile, and sometimes that’s all I need.
5. We have dinner plans tomorrow night with our restaurant buddies. They’re relatively new to town as well, so we’re exploring new places together each weekend. We took a hiatus because one of their fathers passed away, but we resume tomorrow. I’m looking forward to seeing them again, but I’m worried about what to say. Do I say I’m sorry for her loss and make her talk about it, or just ignore it and come off as insensitive? I’m planning to let her know I’m sorry but not push it past that. I’m definitely excited for the place we’re trying as it has rave reviews from everyone we’ve talked to about it.
I’m surprised by both how much time I’ve had and how little time I’ve had this past week. I’m definitely enjoying working and my evenings are full of relaxation since I’ve finished my course. But, I have way less time during the day to text or play computer games since I’m at work all that time. I think it’s a blessing that I don’t have cell reception in my building because I’m not at all tempted to play with my phone, which is definitely against the rules anyway. It’s somewhat strange to be so disconnected after spending so much time inundated by my connectivity.
How was your week?