Spring is in full fling here in Turkey. The days are long, warm, and windy. The flowers are starting to bloom and my roses are all sporting buds that promise to erupt into vibrant flowers any day now. The weather has been perfect the last two weekends for hiking and being outdoors, which of course means that things have prevented as much of that as I would like, but I do feel like we’re embracing the best of spring that we can.
Last month’s goals:
- Learn how to run. This completely dropped off of my radar. We adopted a new dog which meant no running with just Loki and it’s hard for me to get in a run and walk the dogs in the same day. I also got discouraged when after a week off I struggled with every minute of every run.
- Start going to the gym again. Success! I made it to the gym to lift twice a week every week during March. I really enjoy the way I feel when I lift weights.
- Stop biting my nails. Another success! I’m still vulnerable when watching a movie in a theater, but for the most part I’ve been able to keep my nails nice and not raggedy.
- Take a vacation to Cyprus/Mediterranean. We still haven’t been able to nail down the Cyprus trip for the end of this month. Various security factors seem to be working against us.
- Find joy. Besides adopting the dog, I totally forgot to focus on this one.
- Try four new recipes. Success! I made Baked Brie and Pizza Puffs for a party that I hosted and Shepherd’s Pie and Red Beans and Rice as main meals for us this month. We are doing way better at eating at home during the week, now to just have that translate to our weekends as well.
- Be more flexible and forgiving. I’m a work in progress. I do okay at letting go of things, but typically not until I’ve had my say and ruined the mood of those around me.
For April I want to:
- Learn how to run. I think I’m going to try running in the evenings again. I’m loathe to give up my time with B in the evenings, but he has things he needs to do and I just don’t seem to be able to fuel well for morning runs. I’m hoping to just get back on the bandwagon and break through the mental block that is keeping me from running.
- Start a weekly cleaning schedule. There are a bunch out there on Pinterest to peruse. And with two dogs I need to stay more on top of things.
- Stop wasting so much time on the internet. This is my biggest vice right now. Just browsing and looking at the same pages saying the same things too much. I want to develop a schedule that includes less time just surfing the ‘net.
- Take a vacation to Cyprus. This will happen. Probably in about 25 days. We just can’t get the approval to go yet. Which of course freaks out my need to have everything planned self. Oh well, I just want it to happen at this point.
- Find joy. I seem to fly from one extreme to the other. I’m either planning, cleaning, and hosting a party of 16 on my own, or I can’t get off the couch to put the laundry away. I’m either laughing and full of ideas or moping and sad. I would like to find a middle ground and be less of an extreme person.
- Try four new recipes. The last month before I jet off to the US for three weeks. I would like us to eat at home pretty much every meal. New recipes help keep us both interested in eating things at home.
- Be more flexible and forgiving. I want to work on this again in April. Especially on the first part. I’ve gotten to be very set in things we plan so that when those plans change I don’t adapt to it well. I firmly believe that some measure of happiness in life comes from managing expectations and I need to do a better job at managing and voicing my own.
How are your New Year’s Resolutions going? What do you have planned for April?