It amazes me how quickly each day passes and how swiftly this year is already flying by. Maybe it’s because I have so much to look forward to this year, maybe it’s because we’re in a pretty good routine right now, and maybe it’s because that is just how life works. Still, I am having trouble accepting that it’s already the third month of 2013. Not to mention my desire to slow everything down while also really looking forward to same time at home in the not-too-distant future.
It’s been an interesting experience working on having resolutions this year. Or working on kicking bad habits this year. I feel like this monthly reevaluation of where I am and what I want out of the year is helping me make the most of 2013.
Last month’s goals were:
- Learn how to run. I ran times in February. It would have been seven, but yesterday was a day for the AA gun to be tested and Loki didn’t like that one bit. I didn’t want to leave him stressed out at the house and I couldn’t take him with me. By the time they quit playing with the gun it was raining out.
- Start playing piano for fun again. This one didn’t happen at all. I have almost finished the art project I started at the beginning of the year though.
- Stop biting my nails. My nails are currently at a decent length and haven’t been chewed on at all in the month. I still don’t consider myself cured though, I’m terrified of the next time I start.
- Take a vacation to Cyprus. This one is currently being planned for the end of April. Right before I take off on a vacation in May back to the US, including Texas and Vegas. I’m really excited about my trips this year.
- Find joy. This one is on-going. I’ve gotten better at recognizing when it is hormones messing with me, now to just overcome the sadness that comes with that.
- Try four new recipes. I did three: New England Clam Chowder, Best Ever Baked Beans, and a Chocolate Coca Cola Cake. If I count the new drink recipe I found and made (an Amaretto Kiss) than I made four.
- Be more out there. This too is still on-going. I am doing much better with making friends here. All my inviting is even resulting in a few reciprocal invites. Always nice.
And now, for March:
- Learn how to run. While I made a lot of progress on this one this past month, I still want to keep running as my focus. I’m going to aim for another 6-8 runs in March, I’m four weeks in to the C25K program and starting to get excited by how far I’m actually able to run.
- Start going to the gym again. Man has B’s night schedule thrown me off. Starting this week I want to get up in the mornings again and go to the gym. Whether for a class or just to lift, I want to get out and start my days right. We bid farewell to nights in two weeks, so I think it’s time I start transitioning to an earlier bed time and an earlier wake up time. He might have to transition in just one weekend, but I certainly do not.
- Stop biting my nails. I want to keep this one again this month. I was going to change it to giving up soda, but I gave that up for Lent. Instead I want to prove to myself that I can maintain the pretty nails for a second month running.
- Take a vacation to Cyprus/Mediterranean. Those are still my big goal trips for the year. I also want to add getting away from base and exploring at least one day a weekend for this month. The weather has turned gorgeous and there are a lot of cool old castles to explore. It’s time we focus on making the most of what we can see right around us.
- Find joy. I’m trying a few different things this month to help increase my joy/happy quotient. I’ll let you know how it goes.
- Try four new recipes. I still have a bunch of new recipes on the wait list to try. I also liked how cooking more did help us to eat at home a bit more. I want to keep that up in March.
- Be more flexible and forgiving. I tend to hold on to grudges and get upset if things don’t go the way I expected them too. I want to work on not getting so upset when things don’t go as planned. I also want to work on letting things go when I do get upset.