You know the old saying about if you can’t say something nice than you shouldn’t say anything at all? Yeah, I’ve written and deleted so many posts. Including 3 in the last half hour.
- The negative: It’s been a rough week. Adjusting to B’s schedule both in terms of him being gone and him being dead tired when he comes home has been hard. The positive: He has a guaranteed job in an economy where that means a lot. This is also not his permanent schedule so things will change at our next base. Also, he’s pretty stoked for his over-night patrol this Friday night.
- The negative: It’s hard to say goodbye to my students. Some more than others, but I will miss every student. One family brought me flowers, chocolate, and an ornament last night. I cried in the dining room while my student unpacked in the library. The positive: I’ve changed their lives and they’ve changed mine. We’ll miss each other, but we’ve created good memories together.
- The negative: There’s drama involved in our trip to see B’s family. They had made plans to visit Chicago and extended relatives for after Christmas, without checking the dates with us first. Now Thing One and his fiancee are pissed that we’re doing the visit before Christmas. Also, Thing One may or may not come home because he’s spending the break with his fiancee’s family. B is pretty hurt that his coming into
townthe country means so little to his brother. The positive: We’ve stood our ground on our dates, so we do get to see the friends that we want to see and that are making the time to see us. We do get to visit the US and have time with family before moving to Turkey. Hopefully Thing One will still come home and the boys can mend some fences before the wedding next year.
- The negative: B is working overnight patrol this Friday night. Which means that while Friday and Saturday are “off” days, we’ll spend a chunk of them sleeping to get ready for this shift. Also, it means that we’re missing the goodbye kegger for Superman and WonderWoman on Friday night. The positive: B is really excited about this. I think he’s hoping it will be full of exciting events and I sort of hope that he isn’t let down. Of course, this Friday is a goal day, which means most of the guys have off and so things should be rowdier down around the bars. Another plus is that I convinced WonderWoman to let me babysit her precious spawn during the party. I had already volunteered for that duty, but she didn’t want to have me miss out on the party that B was attending too. Now he can’t go for work, so I get to babysit, so she gets to go and not worry about the little rugrat. And I get lots of cute baby cuddle time, which I will take over a kegger any day.
- The Negative: We sold my car the same day that B found out he was going back to work full time. This means that I’ve been stuck at home all day every day. By the time he gets home he just wants to eat, play video games, and then go to bed. By the time he gets home, I need out of the house desperately. I did try to take the car one day last week, since the dog had a vet appointment. I spent the whole day running between our house and B’s work so he could use the car for errands. The Positive: We paid off one of my student loans completely with the proceeds from the car, plus we bumped up our savings account hugely, left money in our German bills account so we don’t have to transfer any for January, we were able to pay for our plane tickets back to the States for Christmas without even flinching, and we still have some of that money just sitting in our account. That’s a lot of things that either wouldn’t have happened or would have cost us some significant money to take care of.
This exercise helps with the attitude issues. There are positives for every negative. Some are just less tangible than others. I’m really glad that this time next week will have us on a plane headed to the US. I’m ready for the break.