So, it is now daylight. It’s still raining. There are trees down everywhere. The building across from us is missing a chimney. Jenn’s parents lost their fence and a couple af trees. We still don’t have power, but thanks to laptops and internet tethering I can still be online, albeit for briefer periods of time.
I talked to some friends in Houston proper just a little bit ago and they said they still have power. They’re in the Montrose area. Rice University is joining with the Mayor in urging people to stay away. I’m really hoping that I’ll either have power or won’t have to go to school until they get power restored. I am currently resisting the urge to go back to town to see my place. I’ve heard reports that Reliant Stadium has damage to its roof. So, it’s still a good idea to stay away. Especially if you are someplace with power. Stay there and wait for an all clear to come back.
We did successfully ride out the storm. We had a safe and good, if slightly intense and or scary, time, but now comes the hard part. Now we have the clean up and the long, hard hours of dealing with no electricity, contaminated water supplies, and the like. Let’s help each other out. We can start by staying out of the way of professionals. Which is why, as much as I want to go see my apartment, I’m not driving down there.